A 50-year-old woman received burns to her face and arms when her Christmas tree burst into flames. She also has smoke inhalation.
The accident occured in Benalmádena in the evening of Monday. A family member alerted the 112 emergency service around 20.50h and accordingly the fire service, municipal police and an ambulance were despatched to her house on the Calle Buganvilla.
When they arrived they found her trying to put the fire out using a garden hose but it was the fire service that actually managed to achieve this. Owing to the fact that it was a real tree, the fire was intense, damaging the ceiling and a wall, as well as setting the sofa alight.
She was taken to Hospital Carlos Haya where she was treated for her burns, which were slight, and smoke inhalation, which required her being admitted.
(News: Benalmadena, Costa del Sol, Malaga, Andalucia)