Polish Cyclist Badly Injured

GRA Pole Knocked OVerAn amateur cyclist was knocked down in Granada, receiving severe head injuries yesterday afternoon.

The accident occurred around 17.00 on the Camino de Ronda on the crossroads with Calle Ribera de Genil.

According to an eyewitness, the cyclist jumped a red light and was hit by a saloon car. The driver gave a negative reading for alcohol and drugs.

The time at which the accident took place means that the victim, who was dressed in cycling sports attire, was out when he should not have been as those wishing to practice sports should do so between 06.00h and 10.00h or 20.00h and 23.00h.

(News: Metropolitan Granada, Andalucia – Photo: R. Quesada)

7 comments for “Polish Cyclist Badly Injured

1. Tom
    May 18, 2020 at 5:01 pm

Martin. I thank you for your advice. I commute to work (not daily) on a bicycle 30km each direction from the coast. I challenge you to do that dressed in anything other than cycling attire. I have done it today as I have for all of the lockdown. Today I passed 6 Guardia vehicles, with no comment at all arriving to work at 1PM. Prior to today I was stopped on just about every trip and then let go on my way when I showed I was going to work. So it seems that the freedom of movement we have in Phase 1 means I don’t have to prove where I am going. However my original point seems to be missed, you assumed from the fact that the cyclist was dressed like Pedro Delgado that he was doing exercise. This is not always the case.

2. May 18, 2020 at 3:02 pm

Bill: exactly! I have come across many, many cyclists who appear to think that traffic lights and road-usage norms don’t concern them. I live 40km up the Cabra Montes road and have nearly knocked down a cyclists on several occasions on a blind bends because they were zig-zagging across into my lane. The reason that I was able to miss them was simply because I ride a motorbike – had I been driving a car, then I would have hit them.

Like you and any reader, I hope the guy recovers soonest, but the fact is he jumped a red light and he is where he is because he did just that.

3. Bill
    May 18, 2020 at 1:33 pm

I think you’re all missing the point. He, the cyclist, jumped a red light. I hope he’s OK but think about how the driver of the car is feeling.

4. May 18, 2020 at 9:17 am

Tom, if your only transport is a pushbike then my recommendation is that you don’t adopt the appearance of somebody practicing sports.

I am not the police or somebody who has made up this temporary restriction – I am just offering advice.

Yes, a helmet is obligatory and it is recommended that you wear bright clothing. Just by wearing a cheap flourescent vest (the type that is obligatory for all drivers to have in their vehicle) your are taking safety precautions and nobody is going to say you’re out practicing sports. If, on the other hand, you look like Miguel Indurain in full togs, then you’re going to get stopped outside the hours laid down for this kind of activity.

5. Tom
    May 18, 2020 at 8:38 am

Yes he looked like a cyclists but cyclists can be going to work also, or am I allowed to commute to work only by car, motorbike, donkey or public transport? Or are recommending that people who use their bike to go to work shouldn’t look like cyclist and refrain from wearing safety equipment? Even though some of that safety equipment is required by law?

6. May 18, 2020 at 8:11 am

If you’re wearing swimming trunks, flippers and goggles & snorkel, you’re a swimmer… if you’re wearing a neoprene suit and a tank… you’re a diver.

7. Tom
    May 18, 2020 at 8:02 am

My best wishes to the injured cyclist. Can you describe what exactly is cycling sports attire and how it differs from safety equipment you might wear on a bike. Helmet to keep your head safe? Padded shorts to keep you ass from getting sore? Top to match your shorts so you look good. Shoes which secure your feet to the pedals to stop you from slipping off? How can you be sure if he was wearing the above equipment that it was not for safety reason whilst commuting from work?