The fire broke out around three in the afternoon on the Avenida de Salobreña in the ground floor of the block, which is entirely occupied by one business premises; an Asian bazaar. Firemen had their work cut out for them because the premises has a large storeroom full of shelving and combustible material.
The smoke made its way up through the rest of the floors via the ventilation shafts, which was why all the resident in the block were evacuated.
As the Avenida de Salobreña is the main thoroughfare coming in from the west, there were dozens of curious bystanders watching the firemen work.
(News: Motril, Costa Tropical, Granada, Andalucia – Video: Marie Claire Richardson)