You and Your Vaccination

As promised, I went this morning to speak with the public health sector as well as consulting doctors in the private sector, concerning jabs.

MOT Hospital Santa Ana FB21Firstly I spoke with a doctor at the Salobreña Centro de Salud who confirmed what we already knew, but pointed me to the Epidemiology Department at Hospital Santa Ana.

There, I spoke with the Communications Department and gleaned the following:


  1. If you are a pensioner then you will have an S1 (a UK document or your country’s equivalent) which entitles you to public health coverage here. Take it along to Seguridad Social and Bob’s your uncle. If you do not have an S1, then you must apply for it from the British health authorities.
  2. You are most likely to receive notification through a phone call, rather than by SMS or a letter. Make sure that the health authorities have your correct contact info, therefore.
  3. Do not go to a medical centre to find out about when you’re getting your jab – it’s not the healthiest place to spend any amount of time if you can help it.
  4. The order will be strictly age related; the eldest first, so the teeny bopper who have just turned 80 will be at the bottom. It does not matter whether you are Spanish or any other nationality; if you are on the list then you will be selected by age.
  5. The Southern Granada Health Area has some 8,000 people over 80 on their list, so be patient.

I also spoke with a private clinic concerning those that have private health insurances and when they can expect their jabs. The answer is that the only people that have access to the anti-viral drug is the public-health service, therefore whether it is your local doctor or a private hospital, you cannot get a vaccine for the moment – the public health service has the monopoly.

Finally, those of you that have private health insurances and want to get onto the public-health system:

  1. If you are not a pensioner and have a private insurance, it is because you reside here but don’t work here; let’s say you have a company in the UK. In that case you’ve got a problem. What you need is to apply for the Convenio Especial but you cannot do that until you have been an official, and continual resident for over a year here. Until then, you cannot get onto the public health system and therefore cannot get a vaccination.
  2. In some areas it seem that if you can show that you have been empadronado for over a year but have not been an official resident, they can accept this in lieu of one year’s residency. Don’t bank on it though.

If you have any doubts… then join the club. Seriously though, I have had help regarding non-pensioner information from a professional specialised in immigration in general and if you have further questions, make a comment below and I will pass you the contact info, if you so wish.

(News: Andalucia)

  12 comments for “You and Your Vaccination

  1. Lelly
    February 28, 2021 at 10:46 am

    Thanks John and Martin, only just seen your replies!

  2. David M
    February 20, 2021 at 9:23 am

    The following is worth a read. It mentions Private Health Patients as well.

  3. February 19, 2021 at 10:53 am

    John: thank you for this find. Yes, this is the gist of the Convenio Especial and as you say, less that a year ago, you are a present, “stuffed.”

  4. John O'Connor
    February 19, 2021 at 10:47 am


    Here is a link to the application process in Andalucia

    The source law is in BOE A 2013 8190

    It does state on the Andalucia link that it is aimed primarily at EU citizens but anyone who satisfies the criteria of having lived in Spain for 1 year and is on the padron can apply to join.

    It will still leave people who arrived in say the last 6 months unable to apply to get vaccinated.

  5. February 19, 2021 at 8:15 am

    Lelly: would you like me to put you in contact with the same legal source that has advised me?

  6. lelly
    February 19, 2021 at 8:00 am

    Hi Martin, thanks for the information. I can’t see anything about the Convenio on that link though (I’ve been through all the categories), can you expand? Thank you!

  7. February 17, 2021 at 4:29 pm

    Lelly: the Convenio Especial is open to everybody; i.e., post Brexit UK citizen and those from non-EU countries such as Canada or anywhere else.

  8. February 17, 2021 at 9:56 am

    Lelly: Have a look at this link, which is from a Spanish government site but is in English.

  9. February 17, 2021 at 9:45 am

    Deborah: The spouse of a person who already has SS coverage (está de alta) can also be included if it can be shown that they have no source of income and receive no coverage from elsewhere (home country, for example.

  10. Lelley
    February 17, 2021 at 9:42 am

    Hi Martin, I thought the Convenio Especial was only open to EU citizens and therefore UK citizens could not be covered by it now? Or does the original Brexit withdrawal agreement (or the recent Trade and Cooperation agreement) allow UK citizens to access it still? Thanks!

    February 16, 2021 at 7:29 am

    Hi Martin
    Thanks for the info. So if one person in a couple becomes autonimo. And can therefore also access public health Will their spouse also be included? And do they still need to wait for the 12 months as resident to pass? Thanks

  12. John O'Connor
    February 15, 2021 at 6:41 pm

    Thanks Martin, really appreciate your help.

    So for those of us whose visa doesn’t allow us to work, and are not EU pensioners basically the Spanish government is waving two fingers!

    We could try the Convenio at 157 per month….so much for the jab being free!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *