Old School Building Demolished

NRJ Centro Gines Demolished 20FB21The building, situated in the centre of town on the Calle Diputación, started off life as a school, called Colegio 25 Años de Paz, (referring to the end of the Spanish Civil War in 1939).

With the arrival of democracy, its name was changed to Colegio Maestro Joaquín Herrera Álvarez in 1983.

It remained as a school until the beginning of the 90s when the building was used as offices for a number of local associations and after-school activities workshops before being converted into the municipal library, Salvador Rueda.

Now what we have is an empty building plot which will be used for the time being as a parking and loading/unloading area – welcome news – before eventually a new, municipal building is erected in its place, costing nearly 5m euros.

The building, which will be a multi-purpose one, having 3,700 sq/m of floor space, won’t start to appear for a couple of years, so happy parking in the meantime. There will also be a lane joining Calles Manuel Marín and Calle Granada.

(News: Nerja, Axarquia, Costa del Sol, Malaga, Andalucia)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *