We were attending the 25th Anniversary of Radio Salobreña celebrations when we began to perceive a strong smell of smoke. At first it seemed to be only burning meat, but gradually the smell became stronger and restaurant staff suggested that we abandon the place.
Within seconds the restaurant was immersed in a cloud of dense black smoke. Firefighters arrived fifteen minutes after our call and began to fight the fire from outside as it was impossible to access the interior of the premises due to the intensity of the smoke.
From the beginning firefighters realized the severity of the situation and worked to prevent the fire from spreading to neighbouring houses, as it seemed impossible to put out the fire inside.
Some residents required medical attention from smoke inhalation and some of the restaurant staff suffered anxiety attacks.
When the fire started there were about 50 people in the restaurant. Fortunately, no one was hurt. The street was blocked not only because firefighters had to operate, but also because it was impossible to drive past due to the dense smoke that, at times, covered the entire width of the road.
Antonio Fuentes Casas, proprietor of 1616 Books, International Bookshop
(News: Salobrena, Costa Tropical, Granada, Andalucia)