Your Questions

If you have a question that you would like us or our readers to answer, please leave it here in the comment box below.

37 comments for “Your Questions

1. Frank Almeida
    May 26, 2020 at 1:06 am

Thank you Martin for your answer .Have a good summer and keep safe!

2. May 25, 2020 at 9:30 pm

Frank: If you’re not here, you’re not here, so don’t worry. If your ITV expires and you are caught driving it, then you’re in trouble, but if the car is not on the road, then there is no problem.

You won’t get fined for not taking it for an ITV, you’ll only get fined if you continue to use it.

So, when you do return, you will have to get it taken to an ITV centre on a trailer. The best thing to do it do it through your regular car mechanic – he will give it a look over and get it through the ITV for you, as well as getting the appointment to do so.

3. May 25, 2020 at 9:21 pm

My car w’ll be due for the annual inspection in Motril around the 20th of June.

I live in Canada.With my wife, we spend the summer months in La Herradura up to October.

We don’t have any plans to go this year because the actual situation.

Can I postpone the inspection until next year?!!!

4. May 23, 2020 at 6:52 am

Karl: I very much doubt it after the outcry in the national press about the Cádiz incident.

5. Karl
    May 23, 2020 at 12:14 am

Hi,
    There is a strong rumor that the Ayuntamiento sprayed the beach in La Herradura, with chlorine solution last week. ( like they did in Cadiz last month). Hopefully this is just a rumor- otherwise it would be a Environmental disaster.

Karl

6. Stella
    May 19, 2020 at 8:13 pm

Many thanks, Martin, for your advice.

7. May 19, 2020 at 1:39 pm

Stella: You shouldn’t have any problem. Just get the owner to sent you an email, authorising you to visit the house, and print it out if stopped. Try to get the houseowner to include as much information on it as possible: full address, their full names and NIE or Passport, etc. It is unlikely that you will be stopped anyway.

8. Stella
    May 18, 2020 at 11:38 am

No, I don’t have anything in writing from any of the householders – the arrangements are very informal. Do I need to obtain something before trying to visit the houses? If and when I do visit, would there be any time restrictions on when I can go to a house in Almunecar?

9. May 18, 2020 at 9:40 am

Stella: Do you have a written agreement with your clients that you can show to the police if stopped? Real-estate agents from today can visit their clients’ houses for showings and rental-management duties.

10. Stella
    May 18, 2020 at 9:36 am

I am a keyholder for various properties in municipalities other than where I live. Now we are in phase 1 can I drive to check on the houses? I could potentially be passing people in the street while walking between my car and the properties but the houses themselves are unoccupied.

11. Larry
    May 14, 2020 at 8:25 am

Re: Rohini and notebooks
    Rohini, I saw small selection of small notebooks at the Supermercado Al-Andalus near Chinasol.
    It might be worthwhile looking in the small convenience or newspaper stores near you.

12. May 11, 2020 at 6:21 pm

Everything from gun licences to driving licences, even including IVA tests have been postponed until the Lock Down is lifted. In other words, it doesn’t matter if the document that you are worried about has expired because they are all automatically extended.

13. Susan Hasler
    May 11, 2020 at 6:07 pm

My husband and I have Spanish Driving Licences due to expire 6 June. We normally have these renewed a month prior to expiry date.

I have not been able to contact the renewal centre where medicals are conducted and am wondering if this is another department which has not yet returned to normal working. Their telephone is never answered.

Has the government applied an extension period for licences renewals similar to the ITV Tests?

14. john
    April 26, 2020 at 6:41 am

Picked this up earlier

What we know so far about what Pedro Sanchez has announced this evening regarding adult exercise/trips outside.

This is all we know so far, as soon as we have more information we will of course post! :)

The following information has been taken from a live press conference given by Pedro Sanchez president of Spain. This press conference can be seen on the Facebook page ‘La Moncloa’.

– If the evolution of the epidemic continues to decline, starting on May 2nd, two new measures may be approved to relax confinement. They will be individual physical activity and walks with the people with whom you live.

– The President announces these two measures but conditions them to the evolution of the data.

– Sánchez has conditioned the implementation of these two measures to if the cases and deaths continue going down, he also made it clear that the families should be responsible when going out with children, which is allowed from tomorrow.

– The Prime Minister has also announced that next Tuesday a de-escalation plan will be approved in the Council of Ministers, which he has insisted will be “gradual”, and marked by prudence, and insisting on the idea that it will be asymmetric between territories. Although he has made it clear that it will be a “coordinated” action with the “same rules” although with “different speeds”.

All of this is still a proposal and the Ministry of Health will have the last word. He will be meeting with all ministers this week and soon there will be more information.

15. March 31, 2020 at 11:31 am

Hi seaside gazette. I have an unusual question and I was wondering if you could help. I am using the lockdown to study Spanish but I don’t have a notebook to write in. I have heard the papelería can still be open but I daren’t wander around trying to look. Do you know where I could get a notebook/paper to write on in Almuñecar? Thank you. Rohini

16. March 23, 2020 at 11:39 am

Hi Bridie Hill
    Under present circumstance (which are beyond your control) the 90 day shouldn’t be a problem – you have an A1 reason for overstaying. You didn’t mention your nationality, by the way?

Martin, the Online Editor

17. Bridie Hill
    March 18, 2020 at 10:53 am

Overstating 90 days because of cancelled ferry.
    We are unable to get another ferry crossing until April 16. That will take us over the 90 day rule. Will this cause any issues? I know some people ignore this but on the whole we like to stay within the law.

18. Deborah Gray
    February 21, 2020 at 1:17 pm

Can anyone recommend anyone who does removal of furniture from UK (Cardiff) to La Herradura for a reasonable charge?
    Thanks,

19. John Woodward-Roberts
    August 1, 2019 at 7:23 pm

We recently discovered that one of our favourite restaurants La Traviesa in Salobrens is now permanently closed. Such a shame.

Does anyone know the circumstances of the closure?

20. July 23, 2019 at 12:53 pm

Hello, since few weeks I ave moved to Spain and now I live in a cortijo near Otivar, so I do not have postal address. That causes big problems with parcels delivery from courier companies. They simply do not ship to “campo” and cortijo location. Post box in Otivar or Almunecar seems not to be a solution. Firstly it would help almost only with correos – spanish national post. Unfortunately courier companies very often do not deliver to post box. Can anybody help with this problem? Any solutions to that question?

21. June 26, 2019 at 10:26 am

It is available in any of the business that advertise with us in Almuñécar for example, as well as the main tourist office and the Paseo del Altillo one. In Almuñécar, for example, you will find it on Cabria beach in Taramay to the far end of La Herradura. The new magazine (July) should be out tomorrow and distribution will begin then. 😉

22. Felicia
    June 26, 2019 at 10:20 am

Close to or in Almuñécar…

23. June 25, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Hi, that depends on where you are living/staying?

24. Felicia
    June 25, 2019 at 11:34 am

Hello, where can I get a paper copy of this magazine? Thanks

25. Barbara Odstrcil
    March 25, 2019 at 9:53 pm

Dear Sir or Madame,
    I would like to get in touch with somebody according the line-dance association Go country in La Herradura /Almunécar.
    I hope you can help me to find out contact informations.
    Thank you in advance and best regards
    Barbara

26. February 22, 2019 at 8:49 pm

I can help.

FYI: Almuñécar Women only work as an email / newsletter group. And http://www.CostaWomen.com is an online group. I know the organizer of both and will reach out to help!

27. February 22, 2019 at 4:08 pm

Hi there!

I am French, recently retired, currently living in Brittany.

I am looking for an affordable place to stay in Almunécar (I have been visiting this lovely little town many times already!)and would like to start my search trough your Womens’group (email).

My question to you is: besides English, is it possible/allowed to write the text of the advert in French and/or Dutch as well?

Would you be so kind as to add my email address (annchristophe@gmail.com) on your mailing list? Many thanks for all this!

Kind regards and greetings from France,

Annick.

28. February 14, 2019 at 12:29 pm

Hi, Murray. I can’t think of any English-speaking groups on Costa Tropical other than the Salobreña International Club: https://editloft.wordpress.com.

They also have a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ics2016 Am pretty sure that they can help you.

The following is from their webpage: “We meet year-round on Wednesdays, except from July to September and a short break at Christmas and the new year. Invited talks, social gatherings and book-swaps are held at Best Western Hotel Salobrena starting at 11.00 am”

29. Murray
    February 14, 2019 at 11:57 am

Can I use it again to ask if there any English speaking groups in this area. We have so far only found the Bridge club, and are frantically trying to learn to play on YouTube! In England we belong to U3A, but they don’t seem to exist here. We are here for about 6 months of the year.

Hope you know of any groups around, or know a man who does!

30. February 12, 2019 at 1:50 pm

I’m both glad that we have covered an event that interests you and sorry that we couldn’t do it earlier because I was up in the Alpujarras last weekend 😉 Thanks again for using our “Your Questions” section.

31. Murray
    February 12, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Thank you, I think your article today answered my earlier question. They looked so dramatic streaming out across the hillside with their flags flying. You always know what is going on!

32. February 12, 2019 at 12:24 pm

No, we do not; not amongst our online advertiser nor our paper-edition ones, sorry.

33. Norma Clarke
    February 12, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Do you have any International Removal companies advertising in your magazine please?

34. February 10, 2019 at 12:46 pm

Well, I have heard nothing about this, nor does it seems has Ideal or Info Costa Tropical. There have been no press releases and I am in Pitres in the Alpujarra this weekend, so why don’t you tell us what it is about?

35. Murray
    February 10, 2019 at 11:35 am

One hundred and thirteen people with flags marched across the hill towards Cotobro and on to Almunecar, but no mention of it.. what was going on?

36. February 2, 2019 at 11:28 am

We are staying in La Herradura for a month and loving it. We have no problem with recycling because, as you say, there are plenty of clearly marked recycling bins. But we can’t see any bins in which we can dispose of our domestic (non-recycling) rubbish. Can you advise us?

37. January 29, 2019 at 2:53 pm

Hi, haven’t been around your area of Spain for quite a few years & like everywhere else, changes have taken place which will confuse we aged & confused old ex pats!

Does the once very regular bus still run from Cotobro into Town & vice versa? & if so, what is the fare? & for me a real biggie! Do any of the Almunecar Supermarkets (Mercadona etc) stock full cream lactose free milk & Sourdough bread?

Will be in Spain from 31st Jan till 28th Feb.

All advices gratefully accepted.
    John Wright.