Back on Best Behaviour

A week or so ago, Íllora (western Granada) incenced with the killing of a young man, resulted in many townsfolk trashing the homes of the aggressor's relatives.

GRA PON Illora Riot 400x250The 19-year-old victim was well liked around town and was a successful university student so the rage that spilled out when his senseless killing became known caused a riot.

The family and relatives of the man that allegedly killed him not only had their homes broken into and ransacked but cars belonging to them were tipped on their roofs and their windows smashed.

The clan to whom the arrested man belongs, had gone too far this time and the town was completely sick of them. As a direct consequence, the clan left town and only now some are returning to Íllora; 23 of them.

Yesterday the Sociedad Gitana Española in a communique stated that the said  families have pledged to “become model citizens, abidding by all norms of coexistence.” The statement went on to say that the police forces are developing “protection measures” around the family of the arrested man.

This return from having fled the town is a consequence of a joint statement last week from the Plataforma Nacional Derechos Humanos, La Congregación Religiosa Católica Fe y Esperanza and the Unión Esperanza Gitana por la Humanidad denouncing racism against these families and asking that they be allowed to return with police protection.

According to the communique from the Sociedad Gitana Española, they have set up a monitoring commission made up from members of gypsy organisations, which is in contact with the family, the police and public administrations in order to “guarantee the peace, welfare and coexistence.”

(Illora, Poniente de Granada, Andalucia)

16 comments for “Back on Best Behaviour

1. Warren Green
    September 3, 2022 at 4:45 pm

One couch One chair when i get there should be enough ladies

eat ya greens

Warren

2. Patrick Barry Storey
    September 2, 2022 at 10:16 am

Driving. ??? Drivil. !!

3. Patrick Barry Storey
    September 2, 2022 at 10:15 am

Gee Damien. Thank you for your constructive comment.!!
    I’m sure Warren and I could get a room. On condition that you join us. In righting this world’s wrongs. Or are you an armchair warrior too. !?
    I must be polite,as I wouldn’t want you to put a hex on me.!
    So best to end this litany of boring driving I guess. !?

4. Patrick Barry Storey
    September 1, 2022 at 5:50 pm

Martin. !!
    🐱🐱🐱

5. Patrick Barry Storey
    September 1, 2022 at 5:36 pm

Sadly Warren. As alcohol is so cheap here. I have had to limit myself to weekends only for drinking and mostly at home. Due to drink driving rules here. But when I do drink. I’m afraid it brings out my more Scots/Irish side of me and I get a bit maudlin and even sing down the mobile to my ex. Sing badly too. !!
    I think the last paragraph in the article said it all about today’s world.
    Setting up a commission made up from Gypsy organisations to guarantee peace ,welfare and coexistence. !!?? Perhaps maybe a commission should also include people from the village elders or something along those lines. ?? To give a fair view of any misgivings on both sides.?

6. Damien
    September 1, 2022 at 4:49 pm

Gentlemen…..what a bromance, get a room.

7. September 1, 2022 at 3:13 pm

Patrick: 😎

8. September 1, 2022 at 3:06 pm

Warren: and the second case for a webpage like button goes to Warren! You’d better no wipe out all the gin!

9. Warren Green
    September 1, 2022 at 1:08 pm

I concur Patrick its allways a pleasure reading your vino powered comments
    i will do my best to inspire a revolution for a lovely little place

VIVA SALOBRENA

Warren

ps when i get back there im gonna start with the gin make sure thats up to scratch

10. Patrick Barry Storey
    September 1, 2022 at 11:19 am

I’m an acquired taste Martin. Especially my odd sense of humour and conversational small talk skills.
    I can also be stubborn. But have to , a sense of fair play. An awful wind up at times. But I mean no real harm
    Enjoy your cycling.

11. September 1, 2022 at 7:30 am

Patrick: these are the times I wish this website had a Like Button for reader’s comments like yours below.

12. Patrick Barry Storey
    August 31, 2022 at 10:57 pm

I have Warren. It smells nearly as good as your misunderstanding of what I was saying. Never mind maybe one day you will gain a sense of humour to go with your charm.?
    Certain types of people will always take advantage of others. The weak or the law. Same happens in the UK and France. I don’t know about the rest of Europe. But if you cross a clan or family member. Then life can be awkward for you. Same on a council estate or small village. I don’t mean traditional life. My Father’s Parents came from southern Ireland with a horse drawn home. To look for something better in England. They led a traditional life. He and his Sister were the first to go to school. Some traditions need to change and slowly are. To become part of the society you live in. Both sets of people have to change. Otherwise from both sets. Anger simmers and eventually explodes. So my arse and yours . I’m sure smell the same. After all we are human. !

13. Warren Green
    August 31, 2022 at 12:33 pm

just a quick one in regards to Patricks comments on traditions and not wanting to be part of society

have you smelt your own arse recently

VIVA TROPICAL

Warren

14. Patrick Barry Storey
    August 31, 2022 at 10:58 am

Hmm Freedom of Speech eh.
    Well thank you Martin. Brave man. With broad shoulders.!
    So let me continue. ! I do hope that the people who vented the anger towards the , I’m sure in the main law abiding group.
    Were masked up. As the wraith of such persons is life long. I say this through my experiences in the emergency services back in the UK. I’m sure their cousins over here keep the same type of honour. An example.
    A road rage incident led to a driver threatening a crew of an ambulance. En route to a call. When the police were called to assist. The were not too keen to pursue the crews words against the nomadic chap. For the next month. A car was parked by the ambulance station and threats were issued. So one law etc.

15. August 31, 2022 at 10:22 am

Patrick: you can say what you want; legally, I can’t. If you’re censored, it will be in the form of criticism from other readers.

16. Patrick Barry Storey
    August 31, 2022 at 10:01 am

How typical of life. The clan which I guess means of gypsy heritage. A member goes too far.
    The worm finally turns and fights back. However unlawfully.!! The authorities finally act. In defence of the clan. Saying the attacks are racist.!!
    My god’s, that card is pulled by so many types that want to use the law. Yet continually choose to ignore it. Ironic really. Yes , yes , I know they can be viewed upon in a not so good light. It’s the same Europe wide. It’s almost a perpetual cycle of lack of education. Traditions and not actually wanting to be a full part of society. Nor in some cases wanted. But sometimes they can be nasty twits. I’m sure this will be blocked. As it’s a bit too near the harsh truth. !?