Fairground Attractions Return

Surprisingly, Salobreña Town Hall has decide to permit a travelling fair to set up attractions in the municipality.

SAL Fairground MR21We say ‘surprisingly’ because just about every authority in the country is admitting that we’re at the doors of a fourth wave to sweep in as contagion figures are climbing.

On Thursday the Central Government failed to get a general concensus amongst the regional governments to bring forward the curfew and close the hostelry sector earlier in the evening, precisely because of this looming threat of another contagion surge.

The Mayor, María Eugenia Rufino, thinks that having an operative fairground during Easter is a good idea, saying that the present restrictions permit it.

The restrictions in place might not forbid it, but they certainly do not encourage it.

Mayor Rufino said that the fairground people are families that have suffered during the pandemic, being almost entirely unable to work and who have received very little economic assistance from the State.

The Spokesman for the sector on a national level, Víctor Manuel Fernández, said that they were “desperate,” and expressed his gratitude towards the Mayor for her “sensibility.” He also said that the attractions are as safe, pandemic wise, as any other business.

The idea is to mount few fairground attractions in order to avoid crowding, thus there will only be four attractions for small children, and a chips and kebabs stall, for the parents whilst they wait for the kids on the carousel and swings.

The spokesman also recommends that children use hand gels on each ride as well as masks, even though they are not obligatory for children up to six years of age. The maximum persons capacity will be reduced by half, with only one child per carriage/seat, unless they are from the same family.

Whilst having the greatest sympathy for the tribulations suffered by the sector, what sort of message is the Mayor sending out? If you want a table on a bar terrace, you have to wait for it to be wiped down with disinfectant – how can this be carried out on the attractions? Fairgrounds generate a lot of noise, therefore people have to shout to be heard; it is a proven fact that shouting has a higher contagion factor than simply talking.

The fact is that the message being transmitted by all administrations from the Central Government down to municipal police forces is to take special care this Easter and act responsibly where anti-contagion measures are concerned. Few will consider that the Mayor is conveying this caution by permitting this activity.

(News/Editorial: Salobreña)

  4 comments for “Fairground Attractions Return

  1. March 27, 2021 at 7:09 pm

    John: your astute observations are noted. Have a good weekend and thank you for following the Gazette.

  2. John O'Connor
    March 27, 2021 at 12:55 pm

    It appears your meditation has brought you to a conclusion that differs with science

    Five studies in their analysis determined that less than 10% of reported global SARS-CoV-2 infections have occurred outdoors and that the odds of indoor transmission were 18.7 times higher in comparison to outdoor transmission (95% CI, 6-57.9).

    https://www.healio.com/news/infectious-disease/20201207/transmission-of-respiratory-illnesses-outdoors-definitely-happens-but-less-than-indoors#

    An article recently in El Pais showed the difference that ventilation makes in various situatons
    https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

    I just feel that the Gazette is lambasting the Mayor for doing something, keeping in mind that the funfair is populated mostly by kids who mingle at school every day anyway, whilst itself promoting in an article something that science says is more dangerous.

    Personally I feel restuarants should be restricted to terrace only as in other regions. but let they who are without sin cast the first stone.

  3. March 27, 2021 at 11:51 am

    John: A reader sends in the film programme and we publish it. The Salobreña Auditorium is run on a minimum aforo with distancing as it is an enclosed space… just the same as a restaurant, inside dining area.

    Furthermore, the seating arrangement in the cinema is much more spaced out than a busy restaurant with four people gathered around a table. I don’t know how many people actually attend these recent film screenings in the Auditorium, which is quite a large enclosed space, but I think the numbers do not differ that much with a large restaurants dining area.

    Would it be incoherent or illogical for the Seaside Gazette to promote restaurants, therefore?

    It does not require a great deal of meditation to see the difference between an outside fairground and an indoor cinema as far as contagion risk goes. I mean, in one crowds mingle shoulder to shoulder as they walk between the attractions, shouting to be heard, and in the other, a cinema, with people sitting down for just under two hours, not moving about, with plenty of empty seats between them.

  4. John O'Connor
    March 27, 2021 at 9:31 am

    Only 3 weeks ago when Salobreña had zero Covid cases the Mayor kept the parks closed. Now when we have 9 active cases the fair comes to town. I make no judgement on either but I would like the draw attention to the incoherence of the situation.

    Speaking of incoherence the Seaside Gazette is promoting large indoor gatherings at the cinema but also judging the town hall allowing large outdoor gatherings.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *