New ID Format

SPN NIE SheetSince the 6th July, new regulations have come in to play for British citizens in Spain, whether they are currently resident, are living without a residency permit or plan to live in Spain in 2021.

The Spanish government has introduced a new residence document for UK nationals living in Spain, whose rights will be covered under the Withdrawal Agreement, which provides a transition period until 31st December 2020.

British citizens who are currently resident in Spain will bear either a green A4 piece of paper or a green card, without a photograph, as proof of their residency. With the new regulations, these citizens can now change this document over to an ID card (with photograph).

British citizens who are currently living in Spain but have never registered as residents, should proceed to register before the 31st December 2020 so as to be eligible and covered by the Withdrawal Agreement.

British citizens who arrive in Spain after 1st January 2021, unless they are covered by the subjective scope of the Withdrawal Agreement, shall be considered as third-country nationals and, therefore, the general immigration regime will apply, unless a future negotiation takes place between the UK and the EU.

So, unfortunately, as of the 6th July, any residency applications have now changed from a 1-step process to a 3-step process. The Spanish government is trying to facilitate the process; however, appointments are currently sparse, depending on location.

For any further information, please contact me for a personal appointment.

(News: British Residency in Spain)

  5 comments for “New ID Format

  1. Paul
    July 26, 2020 at 4:30 pm

    Lorraine. You will be entitled to residency as the dependant of an EU national. In short your husband is Spanish it is administratively speaking easier than if he held any other EU passport. So you would need to register as his dependent. Owning property etc have no weighting in the matter. So he comes to Spain and claims his residency and then you register as his dependent and you will get a foreigner non EU identity card called a TIE.

  2. Lorraine Puerta Terron
    July 24, 2020 at 12:06 am

    Having being married to a Spanish gentleman for 50 years who, although resident in the UK, has never applied for British Nationality. Since 1970 our marriage has been registered with the Spanish Embassy and we do have a “Libro de Familia” but I never changed my nationality. As my husband is from Durcal and we have properties both in Almunecar and Durcal what will my position be when we eventually retire to Spain with regards to having a Residency permit. I already have a NIE.
    I am fluent in Spanish so any useful information and advice would be very much appreciated..

  3. Jennifer Comley
    July 23, 2020 at 1:11 pm

    The general consensus in other expat groups is don’t take up the appointments this year but leave them free for people who have not yet got residencias so that the system is not overwhelmed. I prefer to keep my green residencia card which I got laminated myself. I am in no hurry to change until it is obligatory as I see it as a backward step and the TIE card will have to be renewed every five years.

  4. Marie-Claire Richardson
    July 23, 2020 at 9:11 am

    Good morning Wendy,
    Your green form is still going to be valid and changing across is something optional currently, but an ID card with a photograph is going to be much more useful and easier to carry around and definitely more resistant.

  5. Wendy Lees
    July 23, 2020 at 8:15 am

    My lawyer told me yesterday that our present NIE green form with carácter residente permanente and our passport is all we need.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *