PM Addresses Nation

SPN Prime Minister SanchezThe Prime Minister finally addressed the nation this evening at 21.00h to explain the emergency measures, following a long day of expectation.

Restrictions on movements will come into force at 08.00h on Monday and will  remain in force for the next 15 days.

Basically, the Spanish Prime Minister has decided to copy Italy’s example as far as the degree of severity  goes.

All movement will be restricted to leaving your home solely for essential reasons (force majeure) such as for buying food, going to the pharmacy or attending a medical centre under certain conditions.

Staying at home does not mean going for a walk, visiting friends or relatives, although in the case of visiting aged relatives who need help over personal hygiene and feeding themselves, etc, is permitted.

From Monday, all shops that are not food shops will close, as will bars and restaurants. There will also be restrictions on  purchasing food supplies to stamp out panic buying. Resupplying food shops, pharmacies and gasolineras is guaranteed.

• You can also leave home to go to work  where it is not possible to work from home. However, many companies have decided to close their doors for the duration.

The government now has direct control over all police forces, regional and national and control over Spanish military personnel and resources has been transferred to the Ministry of the Interior from the Ministry of Defence.

Summing up, from Monday you can only be out onto the street if you are out purchasing food, medicine, require medical attention, are taking care of the aged or the handicap who require assistance, or are on your way to work. You can also take your dog for a walk, logically.

The Spanish Constitution also contemplates imposing fines when a State of Alarm (Alert) is in force. Details over what actions could receive a fine and the quantity have still not been made public.

As far as travelling to work by car, you can only go alone; i.e., only one person in the car and must return to your place of residence that same evening.

We shall publish more details tomorrow as they become clear. Please do not hesitate to leave any questions or observations on this web page under the “Your Questions” section which you will find in the index header.

Editorial comment: Amazingly, the PM said that visiting the hairdresser or buying press from a newsagent is included within the visits permitted.

(News: Spain)

8 comments for “PM Addresses Nation

1. March 29, 2020 at 9:22 am

Thank you Julie, am going to post something on this later this morning 😉

2. julie
    March 28, 2020 at 11:40 pm

Hi Martin

Spanish press report today 28 March 2020

“Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez announced on Saturday the total lockdown of all 47 million Spaniards apart from those who are working in essential sectors, in a bid to halt the spread of the coronavirus and to reduce the congestion of the country’s intensive care units (ICUs). At an extraordinary Cabinet meeting on Sunday, ministers will approve the confinement of non-essential workers to their homes for the next two weeks, from Monday March 30, until Thursday April 9, inclusive.”

Regards Julie

3. Bridie Hill
    March 15, 2020 at 8:00 pm

Not sure having a dog will help. I’ve just been stopped walking the dog from Los Ramos to Cotobro and was stopped by the police and told I can only take her outside the house and back up again. Obviously they don’t have a dog!

4. john reeve
    March 15, 2020 at 5:24 pm

Hi Martin

Yes we are booked on a ferry for 28th March, and yes I have already contacted them by email,

Unfortunately they are not replying and they indicate, understandably,that they are dealing with those who have issues in the next 48 hours ( standard email)

Wherever I try to check there does not seem to be any clear answer. I just do not want to be stopped on the way and try to discuss with the Guardia,

Thank you for the contacts , i will give them a go tomorrow.

I appreciate your responses

Kind regards

John

5. March 15, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Unfortunately, as it is Sunday the British Consulate in Málaga is closed but will be open from 09.00h to 13.30h on Monday. However, they answer calls between 08.00h and 16.00h. Their phone number is 952 35 23 00. They will be able to advise you on if and how you can take a ferry back to Britain. Do you have a ferry crossing ticket already booked? If so, why don’t you phone them, for example?

6. john Reeve
    March 15, 2020 at 1:06 pm

Hi again

I still am confused as to whether we can travel to catch a ferry.

It does say you can travel to go home but does that include uk or other countries

Regards

John

7. March 15, 2020 at 12:15 pm

It is all a case of using your common sense to interpret the measures and what the measures are designed to do, which is: stop people congregating and thus the infection spreading. Walking by yourself in the campo, along a river or country lane or track does not contradict these measures. After all, even living in a city, you are permitted to take your dog for a walk, so I shouldn’t worry about your walks if I were you. 😉

8. Barbara
    March 15, 2020 at 11:15 am

I live in the campo and have been walking along the Rio to relieve pain and build muscle in my now mended ankle. I’d like to know if I can still do this. I’ve only just started walking again (just over a week ago) and it’s part of rehabilitation. I also have chronic nerve damage to my lumber which I need to ‘maintain’, walking is part of that. Any advice would be good – Pity I don’t have a dog!