The Almuñécar fire service had to deal with two fires in the space of just 24 hours; one in Almuñécar and the other in La Herradura.
The first fire occurred in La Herradura on Calle Canalejas (Nº37) starting at around 14.30h on Sunday. For reasons unknown, a cloth of some description caught light, which in turn ignited the awning on a balcony on the top floor of the building.
The fire was clearly visible from the Plaza de la Independencia where the kiddies’ carnival celebrations were taking place. For this reason the emergency services received a lot of calls from the spectators watching the show.
The Policía Local and Guardia Civil were first on the scene with their patrol-car, fire extinguishers until the fire service arrived and finished putting it out.
Fortunately, nobody was hurt, nor did the fire affect the interior of the dwelling, and, as it was a top-floor flat, none of the flats below it were affected by the smoke, so all ended well, considering.
Over in Almuñécar an electrical transformer burst into flames in a narrow passageway off Calle Derrumbadero (note for Interpol: where Dave Darby lives) at 02.42h yesterday morning. Dave reported having heard a series of small explosions at that time.
The transformer, which is on the ground floor of Edificio Vázquez, was completely destroyed and had to be replaced in its entirety. This believe it or not, had its positive side as if the transformer had only been damaged, it would have taken a lot longer to get the electricity supply back on in the area – hooking out the smouldering old one and replacing it with a new one was relatively simple, by comparison.
For this reason, after putting the fire out – it took two hours – the electricity supply was restored by 14.30h, more or less.
(News: Almunecar/Herradura, Costa Tropical, Granada, Andalucia)